Thursday 29 January 2009

Wow what a great wine.

I decided it was my turn to cook again last night and I decided to do my 'reliable' Chicken wrapped with bacon and stuffed with pork, thyme and pistachios served with a Marsala sauce (see me for the recipe it’s so easy to prepare and looks like it has taken ages!).

As I was leaving the shop I grabbed a bottle of Trentham Estate 2005 Heathcote Shiraz, a wine which, uncharacteristically for me, I purchased on the recommendation of my supplier Pippa (who also supplies me with the excellent Rustenberg wines from SA).

The wine is not a ‘heavy’, ‘oaky’ Aussie but is extremely well-balanced and drinkable with or without food. I opened the wine whilst I was cooking and between Jane and I, the wine almost disappeared before I was finished but we managed to save a bit and it was excellent with the Chicken. Very impressive wine.

The nose has lovely, subtle oaked cigar-box characters with soft vanilla from well-judged oak maturation. The palate is extremely smooth, clean and classy with velvety black fruits and warm spicy nuances accentuated by the soft vanillin oak. It is an impeccably made Shiraz.
We only have a limited stock of 240 bottles (this is the reason I took it on recommendation) and I think that at £11.60 a bottle it is great value.

Enjoy

Neil

No comments: